Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Second Halloween Costume

Halloween is one of my favorites holidays so admittedly I typically begin searching for a Halloween costume about mid July. I looked through Halloween costume sites as well as costume patterns and finally chose the Simplicity 3685 pattern.



It has several great options and after purchasing the pattern, I was tempted to make a plaid fabric version for a mad hatter. I found a really cool version of another seamstresses creation on PatternReview.com:


I might make this in the future; it is too cute! The main reason I opted not to make this version is my ongoing (and slightly dibilitating) fear of plaid or other similar fabric patterns. Someday....

Back to my lion tamer, I purchased solid red and black material. (Again, I'm sticking to the colors on the pattern sleeve, call me boring!)

In the beginning of September I cut out all the pieces and applied the necessary interfacing (to make the fabric stiffer). Then I put the fabric pieces next to my sewing machines and left it there for about a month. For some reason I just lost interest.

Cut to the first weekend of October and I realize I have less than a month to finish it, with very few free weekends. I was able to complete the jacket in a few hours. I venture to say I might actually be getting better at this sewing thing! Zippers aside, the collar on the jacket may be the coolest thing I've made. I was a little confused about the details so I pinned it first. Of course I had to repin a few times but that is a heck of a lot easier than ripping seams.

I still have the dress and the zest to complete but I made my first jacket!! This may give me the confidence to attempt more jackets in the future! Pretty exciting!

The almost-complete jacket:

1 comment:

  1. I cannot wait to see it! I loved your 2008 Halloween costume!

    ReplyDelete