Friday, September 10, 2010

Sewing Machine

After using my mom's outdated sewing machine for my first project, I decided to buy one for myself. I looked at several option with varying functions and prices. Employees at the stores I went to seemed to only speak to their personal machines that they had had for past 30+ years. I was pretty lost so when I saw an ad in the local paper about a Singer sale at Hancock Fabrics, I jumped at the chance to speak with someone who really knows the machine. The salesman had several options on the simpler end but I decided to spring for a little more and got the Singer Inspiration 4210. In the beginning, it was a little difficult to control the speed but the more I've sewn, the better I've gotten. The machine is straight forward and easy to understand.

I took a zipper class a few weeks ago and my teacher had some choice words to say about my machine. If I remember correctly, her exact words were "I can't believe the Singer name is on that and I'm mad at Singer for putting out those machines." But she concluded her rant with "love the one you're with," which I fully intend to do. It has served me well thus far so I'm sticking with it. Perhaps in a few years I can think about upgrading.

In the mean time, I have some other items on my wish list. I would love to get a dress form.



Is it bad to say that a HUGE part of me wants it just to make my sewing room look a little cuter/legit? Despite the aesthetic improvements to my room I would love to be able to fit my projects as I go. This as opposed to my current system of holding up garment pieces against myself in front of the bathroom mirror. Anyway, I'm saving up my pennies!

No comments:

Post a Comment